French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi all 

I need to translate the phrase 'my beautiful little sister' - a simple phrase I know but hey I'm a beginner :-)

My initial thought was 'ma belle petite soeur' but I seem to be getting conflicting advice. I have been told that 'ma petite belle soeur' is the correct translation.  Can someone please tell me which is correct and explain the difference.

Many thanks

Views: 894

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

'ma petite belle-sœur " could mean "my little sister-in-law" (as well as  'my beautiful little sister' )

So I think it would be better to say 'ma belle petite soeur'  to avoid ambiguity.

Yep, that's how I'd understand it. "Ma belle petite soeur" sounds a lot more natural too. Same if you go with other adjectives ("ma jolie petite soeur", ma magnifique petite soeur"...). I think it's because "petite soeur" already has a meaning by itself, but I'm not sure it's the reason. (But if you really want to use the other way for some reason, at least use a comma: "ma petite, belle soeur" so it will sound less weird.)

Incidentally, irrespectively of the existence of "belle-soeur" etc, there's an interesting observation that across languages, the ordering of adjectives tends to be roughly similar.

There's a general tendency across languages for adjectives relating to 'quality' to come before adjectives relating to 'quantity' which could in itself account for the ordering seen in French here.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service