French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I recently learned the adj.  "dingue" as crazy.  I just came across the following sentence in a podcast:

"Sa mère a été dépisté pour la dingue."  I didn't find "la dingue" in my dictionary but I believe the sentence means "His mother was screened for dementia."  I just learned the word "dépister" which can mean "to screen" but also "to detect."  So perhaps the sentence is saying that his mother was diagnosed as having dementia.         

Views: 444

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It could well be Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease according to this discussion

http://forum.wordreference.com/showthread.php?t=2024493

I think it is the human  disease that can be caught from eating scrapie infected sheep .

That (scrapie) is  ,I think , closely related to BSE , or Mad Cow Disease.

That might explain why it is called La Dingue,  since "dingue" means "mad" in French.

I am not sure if Dengue  (another disease) is any way connected since Google Translation seems to give that as a translation (maybe wrongly).

I am not up to speed on dépister (screen or detect)

I think dépister simply means diagnosed.

the word "dingue" is wrong typed in the sentence : you should read "dengue". a tropical mosquito bites you, you get "dengue", a fever that drives you crazy. "depister" means to find the true object/person at the end of the track (piste).

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service