French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi,

What is the translation of Bright Future?

Thanks,

Glenn

Views: 940

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

what do you think of "brillant avenir"?

I haven't come across it but it seems to be in usage ."un brillant avenir" -although I wonder if "brillant" might not mean something along the lines of "extraordinary" also.

I think "un avenir qui chante" might also work or "un avenir qui promet"

Thanks George

“Un avenir radieux” is also a quite common way of saying this.
But I would make a little difference between "un brillant avenir" (or "un avenir prometteur") and “un avenir radieux”:

I would use “brilliant avenir” (or "prometteur") to talk about professional future (good education, good job, good income...)
and “avenir radieux” for life in general (the life will be just too easy...)

My first thought was that "brillant avenir" should be " avenir brillant" .

I can see I was wrong and that " avenir brillant" is more common (many more returns in Google) .

Is there any particular reason it should be that way around? Is it because it is a common phrase?

George -- I *think* what is happening is that in principle, as with many adjectives, it can in principle go in either position depending on the level of emphasis, rhythmic considerations etc.

However, there seems to be a film called "un brillant avenir" which may be skewing the Google results a little.

Thanks Neil

Thanks Benoit

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service