French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I saw this expression in a vocabulary list.  It means "as much as possible."  I would just use "autant que possible."  I would appreciate an explanation and seeing the above expression used in a sentence.  Thank you.    

Views: 810

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I probably don't understand it any better than you  but I would analyse it in my head like this.

autant que      as much as   faire se peut    is possible     (I think "se pouvoir" or "il se peut"  means "it is possible")

That comes to  "as much as it is possible to do" which is a long winded way of saying " as much as possible"  or "autant que possible."

Maybe  there is more to it than that -it seems  (to my mind )  an old fashioned  expression .

Now I think about this a bit more, I think there are two possibilities.

It could be that "se pouvoir" used to be commonly used as a kind of 'pseudo-passive' as you suggest. (It isn't nowadays-- "se pouvoir" is usually impersonal, "Il se peut que...", though you'll sometimes hear "Ça se peut".)

However, French used to allow so-called 'clitic climbing', as in modern Spanish. So that e.g. "Je peux le faire" or "Je le peux faire" were once both possible. (This still happens in Spanish and Italian today.) So it may be that this isn't actually "se pouvoir" as such, but rather a variant of "peut se faire" > "se peut faire". Either way, it equates to essentially the same interpretation.

The thing you need to understand is "autant que faire se peut" isn't contemporary French: it's a fixed literary expression. To a French speaker 400 or so years ago, on the other hand, it would probably have seemed like normal, everyday French, but nowadays it sounds decidedly literary/antiquated (cf fixed expressions in English such as "it was ever thus" or "cometh the hour, cometh the man"). I'm not exactly sure why this particular French expression survives, but the usual mechanism is that e.g. a translation of the Bible or a popular poet happened to use it.

I don't think it's used terribly much: if you Google it, you'll find that the first few pages are actually about people discussing the expression or the occasional use as the title of a film/song. There are few 'normal' uses of the expression.

If you need to translate it, then maybe something like "inasmuch as is feasible". Otherwise, I wouldn't worry too much and just stick to normal versions such as "autant que possible" or "dans la mesure du possible".

Just to say that this expression is still used nowadays, and not only literary :)

But would you say it's really terribly common?

Not terribly common, I'm agree with you.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service