French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

A podcast used the word "bien" similarly in 3 sentences:

j’aimerais savoir si vous avez bien un client du nom de X. 

il y a bien une personne qui s’appelle X.

nous avons bien un client a ce nom.  

The last two sentences would seem to be "indeed" in English.  In the first sentence, there has been no reference to the person so it would not be "indeed."  Why would it be used in the first sentence?  Are there other examples of this you can give me?  I imagine it's easier in the first sentence to not use it, but to recognize its use by a native speaker.  Would that be a correct assessment?  thank you.  

Views: 2143

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In these cases "bien" means "effectivement", "réellement".
In order to translate it in the first sentence, I would use "actually" rather than "indeed"(but I'm not a native English speaker).

Other examples:
"Es-tu sûr qu'il a bien reçu le message ?"
"Ton fils est sorti... Es-tu certaine qu'il a bien fait ses devoirs ?"

And you're right, you can choose not to use it.

I think "indeed" is OK for an equivalent in english for the 3 sentences.

the first sentence  without "bien" would not mean exactly  the same. With "bien" it would mean that you suppose or you have a hint that there is a customer X.

I think the issue is basically a translation problem rather than a difference in the underlying meaning in French. Perhaps it's clearer in English if you say something like:

I'd like to know if it's true that you have a client by the name of X?

grateful for such excellent clarification.  

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service