French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

In discussions on France Culture I have recently heard "avec" as the last word in a sentence. It sounded rather strange, and I think it was spoken by a French native. 

Unfortunately, I can't remember the whole sentence, but is this good French grammar? 

I have always thought that in French it's not acceptable to use a preposition to end a sentence with. :-)

Views: 624

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fairly sure I have heard  "Voulez-vous venir avec?"

ie Do you want to come along?

I suppose "avec nous" is understood and not explicitly stated.

Are you sure that recommendation you have heard applies to the English language as in Churchill's famous quote along the lines of "pedantry is something up with which I will not put"?

There is also this example I  found .

Not with "avec" at the end of the sentence but "hanging" ,as it were

https://communaute.mariages.net/forum/nom-du-conjoint-et-pas-les-en...

"Tout les couples invités sans leurs enfants les ont fait garder d'eux-mêmes, sans demander si ils pouvaient venir avec ou non."

Hello,

Yes, it's used.

We are speaking about something, a new car, a new suit, ....

as we are speaking about this thing, adding this thing after "avec" is understood.

Man 1 : tu viens avec nous ce week end ?

Man 2 : "Oui, J'ai acheté une nouvelle voiture, elle est rapide, puissante et confortable.... tu la verras samedi, je vais venir avec.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service