French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

which do you use with regard to shoes or clothes?  the latter two refer specifically to tying.  i assume if one verb is more common, it also is more common when used in the reflexive.  merci  

Views: 215

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

There is "enlever ses chaussures" (without reference to untying)

I would go for "défaire les lassés des chaussures"

I am not sure about clothes which need to be undone.

Hi Alan, George.

Important : All comments in purple are concerning a specific clothing usage.

Défaire :

« Défaire » has the main sense of « to remove ». Thus, we can :

- défaire un mur > ( destroy a wall )

- défaire un tricot [ détricoter ] > ( unravel a sweater )

- défaire une valise > ( unpack a suitcase )

- défaire ses chaussures > ( take off shoes )

- défaire des vêtements > ( remove clothes )

1) Also, figuratively, we can « défaire un ennemi » > ( defeat/conquer an enemy )

2) For memory : « Faire » and « défaire » ( do/undo ) are two faces of the same verb, and « faire » is very used in comparison to three others verbs, namely, « détacher ; délier ; dénouer ». It's a bit « un verbe à tout faire. » ( a verb to do everything. )

Détacher :

« Détacher » has the main sense of « to disconnect ». So, we can :

- détacher quelqu'un > ( release/liberate someone [ ...who is attached by a rope in a jail, for instance. ] )

- détacher un câble > ( disconnect a cable )

- détacher un crochet [ décrocher ] > ( detach a hook )

- détacher des lacets > ( detach shoelaces )

- détacher un bouton de veste [ déboutonner ] > ( unbridle a jacket button )

1) Figuratively, we can likewise « détacher un employé » > ( dispatch a worker )

2) Another figurative sense of « détacher » is « to contrast », like for instance : « L'arbre se détache sur l'horizon. » > « The tree is on contrast according to the horizon line. »

( https://thumbs.dreamstime.com/x/seul-arbre-sur-l-horizon-54181.jpg )

Délier :

« Délier » has the main sense of « to remove a link ». Consequently, we can :

- délier une corde > ( untie a rope )

- délier un couple > ( separate a couple )

- délier une équipe > ( unlink a team )

- délier les doigts > ( expand/unclench fingers )

- délier une chevelure > ( untangle a hair )

1) For memory : we cannot untie directly clothes. On the contrary, we can untie a link who is on a garment. That's why there is are no examples above.

2) Figuratively, we can « délier une amitié ». That is to say literally, « to unbind friendly links who exists between two persons »

Dénouer :

« Dénouer » has the main sense of « to undo a node ». Therefore, we can :

- dénouer un fil électrique ( unravel a matted electric wire )

- dénouer des fils de péche ( unravel several wires of fishing rods )

- dénouer un muscle ( relax a muscle )

- dénouer une cravate ( untie a tie )

- dénouer un corsage ( open a bodice )

1) From the figurative sense, we also can say « dénouer un problème » who means : « to fix/to resolve a problem ».

Voilà, I assume that it's easier now to make differences between these verbs. And I hope that all of my short translations are correct, of course. ( Anyway, it was a good manner to learn some English verbs who have common points to be linked by the sense… ^^ Thank you, Alan ! )

I add something because I think it's important.

Sometimes, the French language can be insidious through a very small detail for a learner. ( Each langage has his strange subtilities, and each day, I discover that it's the same for the English tongue… So, I must be serious and humble. ^^' )

- « détacher un vêtement » means ( like we seen above ) : « to open/unlock/unbridle/untie/... a garment. »

- « détacher un vêtement » also means « to remove a stain on a garment. »

Which is the main spelling difference between both ?

The answer is : none.

Only the context can make you capable to get deeply the difference. In this case, you have to ask yourself if the talking's subject is concerning « le détachement » or « le détachage ».

Indeed,

- « le détachement » is the action to detach/free/liberate/unlock/unfreeze/unlink something or someone.

( Be aware : « le détachement » means likewise « the mind's detachment state ». )

- « le détachage » is the action to remove simply a stain.

Consequently, after drinking a very dirty coffee, and with a water bottle in a hand and a small cotton piece in the other, if you are saying for your friends or your coworkers : « je dois aller détacher ma cravate pour détacher ma cravate... », everybody will understand that you need to untie your tie to clean it. ^^

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service