French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

when i keyed in "rush hour" i got the former so i assume it's more common for commuting.  but is the latter more common when speaking about other situations?  example: the busy periods in a resto.  in the US "rush hour" is only used for the period of commuting on a work day.    

Views: 405

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Alan.

There is no difference between “heure de pointe” et “heure d'affluence”. You can use the one instead of the other, even if it's concerning the american “rush hour”.

I add something today because I think that could be interesting for everybody.

In restaurants, the staff also says : “le coup de feu”.

It means exactly : “l'heure d'affluence/ l'heure de pointe” during the work time.

This idiomatic expression is passed for a long time in the common language. So, you can use it for all pressed moments.

Well for my part I never use "heure d'affluence" it's a little bit too sophisticated for everyday life.

But if for example you are writing a study for the town on traffic conditions, you will use the second.

"Heure de pointe" = common spoken language

"Heure d'affluence (maximale)" = written language

Also, Stevo is 100% right about the "coup de feu" ;)

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service