French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

The following is the French way of telling I am tired.

Je suis fatigué.

How do I say, in French, I am getting tired/hungry/bored?

I am going to get a new job/new apartment.
How do we say 'going to get' something in French?

Je vais ...

Views: 1157

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Tired : Fatigué

Hungry : Je suis affamé, but this one is quite extreme, J'ai faim is better.

Bored : Je suis lassé or even je suis fatigué in some case. You can say J'en ai assez.

Going to get would be the future of obtenir. But with what we call "futur proche" using venir.

I am going to get sth -> Je vais obtenir quelque chose.

But it's not everytime obtenir. For exemple when it's about buying, this is just acheter. Or in many case too, avoir.

So it's not Je vais obtenir un nouvel appartement, it's Je vais acheter/avoir un nouvel appartement, even with get.

For the job it's only avoir.

Thanks Antoine

French is tricky.

There is no straight or rather standard way of expressing what I want.

So to say 'going to get' is not that easy.

I am going to get some money.

I am going to get an infection.

I am going to get a new girlfriend.

I am going to get a new tablet. ( Maybe as a present.)

I am going to get some visitors tomorrow. 

I am going to buy a new car.

English is straightforward, No ambiguities.

Hello,

no the answer is that you're thinking as if there were  exact grammatical equivalents in both languages, each language has its own consistency and its idiosyncratic way to explain the world and every language is tricky in its own way. 

You're talking about a progressive form (with a future meaning) that doesn't exist in French!  If you want seriously to learn a foreign language you should make a distinction between time tense and aspect as it works differently in each language.

All your examples could be translated by the phrase je vais avoir............so you see it's not that tricky!

Thanks Vedas for the comments.

For me, the words 'Je vais avoir ... ' literally means I am going to have ...

However, I would agree with the comments you made.

I look at languages like plumbing(or any other jobs around the house or garden)

You have a particular job to do but only have so many tools with you at the time. The tools you have with you determines the way you do the job.

Substitute  words , phrases and idioms  for tools .....

George

I would agree with you.

However, English is simple.

Everything is off the top of your head.

How do you mean "English is simple"?  The truth is, English is very hard for people to learn. You only have to try to explain to non-English speakers why "ough" is pronounced quite differently in 'cough', 'through', and 'thought" to understand that.

English is simple to those who speak English and French is simple to those who speak French and Swedish is simple to Swedes.

I am going to get something = je vais obtenir quelque chose.

I am going to eat something = je vais manger quelque chose.

I am going to bed =  je vais me coucher.

Actually, once you learn and absorb the formula, it's very simple indeed.

Bonjour,

1-  Je commence à fatiguer, je commence à être fatigué, à avoir faim, à m'ennuyer

2_ If you mean "I have the project to... You can say Je vais changer de travail, d'appartement....

If you almost already found a new job or apartment you can say " Je suis sur le point de trouver un nouveau travail...

To denote "I am getting tired" I see it as two voices:

Je suis en train de me fatiguer

Je deviens a me fatiguer (de instead of a? Or perhaps no preposition at all?  I'm not sure)

I use the reflexive because "to tire" is referring to myself. Correct?

"Je deviens a me fatiguer"   would be  unidiomatic.(well , quite wrong I would say) .

You might say "Je deviens fatigué" .

Good evening All,

Sorry but nobody says "Je deviens fatigué " or "Je deviens à me fatiguer" in france, I thought that my above reply was the best way to reflect the sentence

I have to disagree .

"Je deviens fatigué " sounds perfectly acceptable to me - and I can find   countless examples of the phrase when I look in Google search.

Why do you think it is not said ? Is it just because you have personally not heard it?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=%22Je+deviens+fatigu%C3%A9+%22&o...

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service