French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Could somebody tell me if the following are correct please and why? 

J'aime les sciences et les maths, à mon avis c'est très utile (or) ce sont très utiles?

Les maths et les sciences sont intéressantes. 

La musique?  C'est passionnante

Views: 1905

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

J'aime les sciences et les maths, à mon avis c'est très utile (or) ce sont très utiles? (it could also  be "elles  sont tres utiles")

La musique?  C'est passionnant passionnante .

Les maths et les sciences sont intéressantes.  - I think that is correct ("les maths" is feminine I think)

I get a bit confused myself with  using "c'est" and "ce sont" so I don't feel comfortable explaining why I think it is that way

As said previously, "c'est" is the singular form and "ce sont" is the plural form. But you have to know that French people, even if it's not very correct, always use "c'est" when they are talking.

Ex: Ce sont mes chaussures. => correct sentence.

C'est mes chaussures. => oral sentence that can be used.

I just wanted to inform you, so you won't be surprised if you hear this grammar mistake. But I advise you to use the correct form if you are learning.

thanks.It is good to be reminded of the way people actually speak!

When c'est is used in this colloquial way there is no adjectival agreement with the preceding noun. Eg la cuisine, c'est delicieux, but la cuisine est delicieuse so Deborah I'm not sure your explanation is correct. I think it's just colloquial French.

if you had two nouns in your sentence would you still say c'est in this colloquial way

eg le pain et le fromage, c'est delicieux or would you use ce sont?

I am sure you could say that :"le pain et le fromage, c'est delicieux" .It sounds fine to me.

By the way you wouldn't say "le pain et le fromage, ce sont delicieux" anyway as that would be incorrect.

You would reserve "ce sont " for sentences such as "le pain et le fromage, ce sont mes comestibles favoris" or

"le pain et le fromage, ce sont de delicieux achats"

-do you see "ce sont" has to be followed by a noun , not just an adjective) ?

Incidentally, it's worth pointing out that there's a difference between:

- "Le pain et le fromage, c'est délicieux" = "Bread and cheese is (generally) delicious"

- "Le pain et le fromage sont délicieux" = "The bread and cheese (that we're currently eating) are delicious"

J'aime les sciences et les maths qui, à mon avis, sont très utiles.

Les maths et les sciences sont intéressantes.

La musique?  C'est passionnant.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service