French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

How to say it's going to be in french? I want to say "it's going to be a wonderful trip" So, is the sentence "La excursion va être manifique" similar? Also I am used to start the sentence with a it,he or she, can I say "Elle va être excursion manifique", or the "la va être manifique excursion."
Amitiés

Views: 104

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Cela va être une excursion manifique" or "Cela (or ce ) sera une excursion manifique" I think.

Hi Janek -- Just to expand slightly on what George has already said:

Your sentence "La excursion va être magnifique" is of course fine. As you can see, the complication comes when you need a pronoun (equivalent of "it") at the start of the sentence.

When choosing between "C'est..." vs "Il/elle est..." to mean "It's...", then as a rule of thumb, "C'est..." is strongly favoured when followed by a noun or noun phrase. So in this case, "Elle va etre..." is essentially ruled out unless by "Elle" you actually meant "She" referring to a person.

Then, the other complication is that ce/c' is used as the subject of être when it is just être that is present. Nowadays, whenever you get some other auxiliary used with être, then speakers generally use ça/cela instead. So:

C'est..., Ce sera..., Ce sont..., Ce seraient... etc

But: Ça doit être..., Ça va être..., Ça a dû être...,

(In older literature, you will find "ce doit être..." etc, but nowadays it's essentially old-fashioned or at least extremely formal.)

Hopefully that helps, but let us know if you want further explanation!

Thank You, very much for the clear explanation.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service