French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi folks. I wonder if you can help me.

I run a business called “Woodlife” which gets people closer to nature and introduces them to wild-camping, forest crafts using natural resources and nature watching in forests and woods.

I’m trying to find a suitable translation of “Woodlife” into French that reflects that “you are part of life in the woods”. I would like to keep it short as possible for future marketing.

The literal translation is “vie du bois” which sounds quite nice but is it suitable and can anyone see any issues with it?

Thanks in advance.

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hopefully someone more advanced than I will sign off on this, but "boisé" is forested or wooded.  "Vie boisée" is more compact for a name.  Hope it's approved.  

I don't think that would pass Alan.

I think "Vie boisée" might be used to indicate a man with a bushy beard! (only joking but I think  “vie du bois” was OK )

by coincide, I was just reading a cookbook about the immigrant influence in the U.S.  It mentions the "coureur de bois" -- the French Canadian independent man who'd venture into the woods to trade Euro goods for furs.  So there is a business aspect contrary to leisure, but reinventing the historical reference could be fun (though I agree "Vie du bois" is probably best).       

I am stumped !

I don't think there is a unique word to translate this word.

But we have a known store selling this kind of things. this store is called "Au vieux campeur".

And sometimes, when the word doesn't exist in French, we use an English word ;-)

Thank you all for your replies.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service