French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

This is from a blog.  First she starts a sentence with "En plus, j’ai toujours voulu...." 

Shortly after, she says "Le plus, l'espace participatif du Nouvel Obs, m'a demandé... 

"En plus" beginning a sentence is therefore used as "what is more..." or furthermore..."  It seems in the second sentence it's the same meaning but just another way of saying it.   

Views: 5873

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Just a guess but does "le plus" ,used in that way  mean  something along the lines of "to cap it all..." ?

I would be surprised if it meant the same thing  as "en plus"

the dictionary has "en plus de cela."  I assumed "en plus" was just a shorter way of saying it.  "le plus" starting a sentence wasn't defined, but from context it seemed to be the same.  I just came across a sentence starting with "De plus..."   Like the other two, it was used to add another point to what was just said -- "furthermore..." or "in addition..." 

"Le plus" is a section of the magazine le nouvel observateur so this is a proper noun ("espace participatif" in which readers can leave comments and discuss different topics )

It means something like the extra information...

Yes I think I know "De plus" to mean what you said but I would still be skeptical  as regards "Le plus".

Do you want to  give more of the context?

"Le plus, l'espace participatif du Nouvel Obs, m'a demandé...

I have been asked by "le plus" which is the participative platform  of the Nouvel Obs

Thank you for informing us that "Le Plus" is a proper name which we couldn't have known.  We still have unresolved, however, the use of "De plus" versus "En plus."  Is there a distinction?     

Yes, there is...

En plus/de plus : Means to add something to the previous affirmation. Example :

- J'ai raté (to miss) mon train. En/de plus, quelqu'un m'a volé (to rob) mon portefeuille (wallet).I think the best translation is "And then...".

Le plus : It just means to precise a positif point. For example :

- J'ai trouvé un travail. Le plus, j'ai un bon salaire (good pay).

Maybe you can translate this by "Best positive point".

We have the expression "(on)  the plus side" which might apply .

Ah yeah ! :)

Alan, I made a mistake, there is no difference between "en plus" and "de plus", sorry :P

Not an easy one to distinguish these words:

en plus can be used in an informal conversation and would mean on the top of that/ to boot

Elle m'a brulé la priorité et en plus elle ne s'est pas excusé

or in formal sentences like:

En plus des différences remarquées ....

In addition to the noticed differences....

de plus is more formal and is often used as a link word in the same way as moreover/ besides.

De plus la situation se dégrade

Moreover the situation is worsening

In your example about missing the train, I would translate "en/de plus" as "and then on top of that..." 

As far as using "on the plus (or positive) side/on the minus (or negative) side, you would only use a positive after a negative or vice versa.  So, if I told someone I got a job, I would not add "on the plus side" to then tell them that it pays well because the fact that I got a job is good news.  If it pays poorly, I could add "but on the negative (or minus) side, it's lousy pay/the salary's really low, etc.  Since it's good news, I'd either use "and on top of it" or "and to top it off, it pays really well."      

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service