French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

In a grammar book chapter on the subjunctive, the first is cited as an example of a conjunction that is followed by the subjunctive.  It gives the example: 

Il est resté là jusqu'à ce que tout le monde soit parti.  

Later, it gives the sentence:

Il est resté là jusqu'au moment où nous sommes arrivés.

It then gives the following explanation: L'exemple relatif à "jusqu'à ce que" est au passé.  C'est donc un fait que celui dont on parle est resté là jusqu'à la limite indiquée, mais le subjonctif exprime le partie pris de ne pas partir avant ce moment-là.  Là où cette nuance est absente on préfère employer "jusqu'au moment où"  suivi de l'indicatif.  

Can someone give other examples of this distinction and explain it?  Is this a distinction that only a small percentage of people bother with?   Merci, d'avance.     

Views: 6748

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I found it very hard to find (invent) examples (especially without using rester) so maybe it isn't a commonly called upon distinction.

I think the subjunctive indicates  a connection between the staying and the outcome whereas the indicative just  gives you a temporal connection. 

Il m'a harcelé jusqu'à ce que je lui aie prêté le fric.

Il m'a harcelé  jusqu'au moment où il a bien vu que je n'avais aucune intention de lui prêter quoi que ce soit. 

Le mec   est resté chez des amis jusqu'à ce qu'il puisse trouver un appart a lui-meme.

Le mec   est resté chez des amis jusqu'au moment où ils lui ont demandé de partir. 

Oh it's very hard, yes. In french, we could say "c'est une question très pointue" which means "very specialized". I think I could find a lot of explanations (more or less dubious), but it would not be helpful.

There is a slight difference in meaning, but it's not easy to explain, it's more a feeling than a difference.

I think the only helpful rule is :

jusqu'à ce que + subjonctif

jusqu'au moment ou + indicatif.

And in fact, the two forms are used without distinction in everyday life.

The truth is French don't feel very easy with the "subjonctif" so if  the verb has an easy subjunctive form : no problem.

j'ai joué dans la cour jusqu'à ce que ma mère m'appelle. this is an easy subjunctive form, it sounds like an indicative form because of the verb "appeler" 1srt group.

but if the verb has a difficult subjunctive form it's easier to exchange the sentence and use "jusqu'au moment ou" or another indicative form.

J'ai joué dans la cour jusqu'au moment où ma mère m'a appelé.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service