French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

French Dictionary / Vocabulary (234)

Discussions Replies Latest Activity

Veûës

Hello My very basic (at best) French aren't sufficient to understand the following citation. J'ai souvant exprimé le même argument en div…

Started by Kipp

4 Mar 31, 2011
Reply by stu harris

An easy win you are missing with the dictionary

Hi Neil,   >>The form vient could be from the present tense of the verb venir   When the dictionary makes this kind of suggestion, wh…

Started by Joe

0 Mar 31, 2011

Checking Out From A French Hotel

What phrase would you use to check out of a French hotel?   I've seen 'je veux vous signaler mon départ'.   Does that sound natural? What w…

Started by John Conroy

1 Mar 25, 2011
Reply by Erwan

origins of name Cissou

In Pennac again, there is a character called Cissou... (Cissou la neige, in fact, it's his nickname) Is this a North African name originall…

Started by Clare H

4 Mar 25, 2011
Reply by Clare H

Internet terms

My old-fashioned French was learned before the internet was even thought of, and I am wonderingwhether there is anywhere available a basic…

Started by Angus gavin Watson

1 Mar 25, 2011
Reply by Neil Coffey

weird sentence in Pennac

Hi, does anyone have any idea at all what this sentence, from one of Daniel Pennac's novels, is about? "Sur le palier du 4ieme, l'huissier…

Started by Clare H

5 Mar 22, 2011
Reply by Clare H

another odd one...

I've got the phrase '(elles0 remerciait Dieu a tout bout de champ.' Does anyone know if this phrase always comes together, or is it made up…

Started by Clare H

4 Mar 15, 2011
Reply by Clare H

le grand Maure

Am translating a poem by Marguerite Yourcenar which refers to le grand Maure (in connection with Russia??) - I know what a Maure is but any…

Started by Clare H

2 Mar 15, 2011
Reply by Clare H

Difference between sentir and ressentir

Both verbs, sentir and ressentir have similar meanings. What is the difference?   Thank you in advance.

Started by Adam Kim

4 Mar 13, 2011
Reply by Neil Coffey

Educator

Deux magots

The two official definitions of "magot" are a) macaque b) somme d'argent. Yet the statues preserved in that horrible tourist-trap "Les Deux…

Started by stu harris

2 Mar 12, 2011
Reply by Natasha Edwards

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service