French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Je mets à la retraite, mais je travaille encore à mi temp payer pour voyages.

J'aime beaucoup voyager, et ma femme et moi avons visité l’Australie, l’Allemagne, l’Italie, le Portugal, l’Espagne, l’Angleterre, et la France.

Suivant, nous voulons aller en la Russie ou l’ Égypte.

Here's what I hope I'm saying:

I am retired, but I still work part time to pay for travelling.

I really like to travel, and my wife and I have visited Australia, Germany, Italy, Portugal, Spain, England and France.

Next, we want to go to Russia or Egypt.

Am I close?

Thanks,
Al

Views: 134

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello Al,

You're so close that your translation is almost perfect :)

Bravo!

Just tiny blunders:

Je suis à la retraite mais je travaille encore à mi-temps pour payer des voyages.
Ensuite, nous voulons aller en Russie ou en Égypte

Nits: remove the coma before "et la France" since it's an enumeration.
Instead of "pour payer des voyages" you could specify who is traveling: "pour nous payer des voyages" or "pour me payer des voyages". Or you can make the end of the sentence simpler: "pour voyager".
Thanks Frank.

I started out using suis in the first sentence but switched to mets when I looked up retraite and the dictionary showed être/mettre à la retraite (“to be retired”). When would the mettre construction be used? Would it be in the sense that someone was made to retire?

Regards,
Al
Hi Al,

"mettre à la retraite" means that someone (probably your boss) makes your retire.

Un patron met un employé à la retraite. Ensuite, l'employé est à la retraite.
Merci, Frank.

Al
I'm only a beginner in French, so maybe I've got it wrong, but shouldn't it be "ma femme et moi ont" rather than avons?
Hi Neil,

If "ma femme et moi" were a pronoun, it would be Nous.

(the difference between "We" and "They" is that the former includes yourself. This is the same in French).

So it really should be "avons".
C/Wouldn't you say
Ma femme et moi, nous avons...

?

Howard
Hi Howard,

Yes, you can perfectly say "Ma femme et moi, nous avons..." but "nous" (thus, having two subjects for the same verb) is optional. Having the "nous" makes the sentence more informal.
Hi Frank,

I've wondered why sometimes I see the two subjects per verb approach and other times don't--is it always optional, or are there any times when it's required? Is the practise more common in spoken French?

Al
Hi Al,

It's definitely more common in spoken French.

However, it's better to only use the double subject trick with "tu", "vous" and "nous". In this case, it can be said and written, even in a formal context.

Using it with "je" can sound egocentric, and using it with "il" and "ils" can sometimes sound uneducated, especially when written.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service