French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I'm doing a project on animals and habitats, and am not sure what should follow 'habiter' for which habitat. My dictionary says that it's 'habite la maison', 'habite à la campagne' and 'habite en ville', but I can't find anything for 'la forêt, la montagne, la savane, la mer, la jungle and la rivière'. Can anyone help? Many thanks!

Views: 1155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wasn't sure myself but "habiter dans la mer seems" to be acceptable so I guess it should apply to the other habitats as well.

Of course you could use vivre (live)  just as well -maybe better. 

You don't actually need any preposition at all with the words you've mentioned. However, I think you could use dans with almost any of them. Possible exception is montagne, where à la montagne would be more common.

Yes, I was taught that habiter doesn't require a preposition. Does anyone use demeurer these days? Is there a subtle difference between habiter, vivre, demeurer?

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service