French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I'm posting this as a followon to another thread about the use of "du", "de la" and "des". I think part of the confusion that may arise is because of an apparent "exception" with the phrase avoir besoin de.... For example, you get apparent contrasts such as:

Il me faut du fromage.

J'ai besoin de fromage.

At first glance, you may wonder why the word for "some" is du in one case and de in the other.

But in fact, in the second case what you have is a combination of the following:

• de functioning as a regular preposition;
  • when the preposition is (theoretically) followed du/de la/des, the latter is in fact omitted.

So the second example is implicitly something like:

J''ai besoin de du fromage > J'ai besoin de fromage.

If the second element isn´t "du" (or some other element based on "de"), then it stays as normal. For example:

J'ai besoin de ce fromage.

J'ai besoin de ton fromage.

J'ai besoin de le fromage que tu as acheté > J'ai besoin du fromage que tu as acheté. (This is preposition de combining "normally" with le.)

A similar thing in principle happens in any case with preposition de and there's really nothing special about the phrase avoir besoin de.

Views: 3618

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

A bit off topic, but hopefully amusing:

I used to publish user-submitted computer tips in a magazine column. I would, of course, include the name of the submitter.

Sometimes I'd put my own material in the column, in which case I'd make up a name.

One of them was J. Besoin-D'Argent. Somebody caught me on it once. ;-)

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service