French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Bonjour tout le monde,

J'ai une question pendant mes études.

Exemple:

Est-ce qu'il y a dans votre pays des choses venues d'ailleurs et assimilées comme des habitudes alimentaires?

Pourquoi on utilise 'venir' et 'assimiler' en forme de participe passé? Je ne comprends pas du tout. Je vous remerci si vous pouvez me donner vos avis. Merci!

Jerry

Views: 306

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

est-ce que vous pourriez en donner un exemple?

I think that venues and assimilées are adjectives here. As they're referring to des choses we need to write the feminine plural form.

oh I see!

Yes  the whole thing is short for "des choses  qui sont venues d'ailleurs et qui sont assimilées....."

Merci à vous tous!

Si vous dites que ce sont les adjectifs, je peux comprendre un peu de sens de cette phrase. Mais je n'arrive pas à la traduire en anglais. Qui pourriez m'aider à traduire? Merci!

F: Est-ce qu'il y a dans votre pays des choses venues d'ailleurs et assimilées comme des habitudes alimentaires?
A: Are there any things come from other places and ????????? like the habit of eating in your conutry?

Mon anglais est aussi nul. Mais c'est une bonne façon pour moi à comprendre. Je vous remerci si vous pourriez m'aider à la traduire en anglais.

Jerry Fan

Are there any things come from other places and ????????? like the habit of eating in your conutry

Are there any things (that have ) come from other places and(have been assimilated) ????????? like the habit of eating (culinary customs) in your country

Does that make sense? (semble-t-il logique?)

Perhaps you thought "assimilées comme " meant " similar to" ?

Are there in your country any things (that are) coming from sowhere else and being comparable to food habits?
I'm not a native English speaker, so this could not  be an idomatic way of saying it.

Edit : I haven't seen your reply Geordie Hound

Are there in your country some things (that are  have) coming come  from somewhere else and being comparable have been assimilated to food habits customs?

a mon avis

Très bien! Je vous remercie, Erwan et Geordie. Merci! Sur la phrase anglaise, je comprends mieux.

Je suis chinois, mais pour moi, le français, c'est du chinois. :)

You can see this as a kind of "shorthand" for "des choses qui sont venues...".

Verbs that take être generally have a special feature that their past participles are active.

With a "normal" verb, the past participle is passive in cases such as:

Les personnes arrêtées ce matin. = The people (who were) arrested (i.e. not the people who arrested them).

Les hommes tués lors des attentats. = The men (who were) killed in the attacks. (i.e. not the people carrying out the attack)

However, with être verbs, the past participle is interpreted as being active:

Les personnes arrivées ce matin. = The people who arrived this morning.

La jeune femme morte hier dans l'accident. = The young woman who died in the accident yesterday.

Un article paru hier dans Le Monde. = An article which appeared yesterday in Le Monde.

Merci Neil. Vos phrases sont supers! Je comprends bien maintenant avec celles-ci. Merci beaucoup!

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service