French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I wish to send an e-mail to a french magazine called "Science & Vie". The title of the article in the magazine is "Ce Papillon manipule un seul géne pour devinir noir",

Please translate the following into french ;    I believe in the beginning this species had many colours however only this particular colour offer good camouflage survived as it blends in well with the background making it difficult for the predator to find them.

So now it appears that this particular species had chosen this colour or did something to effect this colour change to survive.

Is the butterfly intelligent enough to know that predators are out there are looking for them and their colour contrast with the environment is too conspicuous making them easy target?

It appears there is intellegence in the universe that brings about all these changes that makes us believe the butterfly has decided to change colour to blend in with the surroundings.

Views: 418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

An attempt:

Je crois qu’à l’origine cette espèce était très colorée, cependant seule cette couleur particulière offre un camouflage suffisant pour survivre, permettant à l’espèce de se fondre parfaitement de son environnement et d’échapper ainsi à ses prédateurs.

Il apparait donc que cette espèce particulière a choisi cette couleur, ou en a déclenché le changement d’une manière ou d’une autre (*: ou a fait quelque chose pour en effectuer le changement), afin de survivre.

Un papillon a-t-il suffisamment d’intelligence (*: est-il suffisamment intelligent) pour savoir que des prédateurs le traquent et qu’un contraste trop flagrant entre sa couleur et celle de son environnement ferait de lui une proie facile (*: une cible facile) ?

*: More literal translation

For the last part I have to confess that I’m not sure of what you want to say. So I made several translations:

« Il semble y avoir une Conscience dans l’univers qui provoque tous ces changements qui nous font croire qu’un papillon a décidé de modifier sa couleur pour se fondre plus facilement dans son environnement. »
« Il semble que l’univers possède une forme d’intelligence qui provoque… »
« Il semble que l’univers agisse intelligemment en provoquant… »
« Il semble qu’il y ait de l’intelligence dans cet univers qui provoque… »

a small mistake : se fondre parfaitement dans son environnement

Thank you Benoit for the translation. There is some mistake in the last part so that makes it difficult to translate. What I really wanted to say was " It appears that there is consciousness in the universe otherwise small creatures like butterfly could not sense the need to change colour."

This is not a literal translation, but I think I grasped the overall meaning:

« Il semble bien qu’il y ait une Conscience dans notre univers ; comment expliquer sinon que de si petites créatures, telle que notre papillon, puissent sentir la nécessité de changer de couleur ? »
Question: what is the proper expression (in English) for:
"J'ai saisi le sens global (de vos propos)."
and (if there's any difference):
"J'ai bien saisi le sens..."

Benoit -- you could say e.g.:

"I get the general/overall meaning (of what you're saying)"

"I get the general idea of what you're saying"

"I get the gist of what you're saying/what you mean"

For your second, if you perceive a difference, you could say e.g.:

"I do get what you're saying (but I don't agree etc)"

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter