French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

In school we used to coin jokey translations of English expressions into French.  One I liked was "That will do to go on with" which we made into "Cela fera pour aller sur avec".  How should you really say "That will do to go on with" in French?

Views: 1067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What about "ca suffit" ?
In a similar vein, my parents met an English lady on holiday once who was trying to converse with a French speaker and was heard to utter the phrase "Vous avez, avez vous?" to the immense amusement of a (French) bilingual friend of mine!
You could say: "Ça fera l'affaire pour l'instant", "Ça ira pour l'instant".

I like "Pouvez-vous me donner un ascenseur?"

"Ca suffit" is heard all the time by parents shouting at their kids.

We play that game in reverse. Vachement chouette is Cowly owl. A Château is, of course, a Catwater.

It must have been at least 30 years ago that we saw a sign warning that something-or-other was prohibited. It read PERSONNES ...doing whatever... S'EXPOSENT A DE GRAVES ENNUIS

30 years later we're still threatening each other with BEING EXPOSED TO GRAVE BOREDOMS.

This stuff is fun, for sure.

Another friend, with a property in Normandy, who delighted in Franglais expressions used to conclude

an argument with :- Je reste ma valise!

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service