French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi folks,

With such knowledge I can talk about weather and greetings without much difficulty
Avec une telle connaissance je peux parler du temps et de la salutation sans beaucoup de difficulté

Any mistake made? Thanks

B.R.
S.L

Views: 1231

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

"without much..." can't be translated as-is in french. Just use "sans" : "sans difficulté".
Hi Frank,

Then the whole sentence will be;
Avec une telle connaissance je peux parler du temps et de la salutation sans difficulté

Thanks

B.R.
SL
Hey Stephen,

Yes, this sentence is correct.

However, "salutation" is often used if a very formal context (as in "salutations distinguées" to sign off a formal letter), or in sports (like in judo, before and after a fight). Not much for casual greetings. The most common way to translate "greetings" would be "dire bonjour" :

"Avec de telles connaissances, je peux parler du temps et dire bonjour sans difficulté"

"Connaissance" is almost always plural if you mean "knowledge". Using the singular form is correct, but a bit overzealous ("avec une telle connaissance" could be understood as "as I'm a genius").

"sans difficulté" is absolutely right, but french people love the word "problem". It's even ridiculous to watch how often we use it. Instead of "sans difficulté", "sans problème" would sound more natural, at least in spoken french.
Hi Frank,

Thanks for your explanation.

The final sentence should read as;

"Avec de telles connaissances, je peux parler du temps et dire bonjour sans problème"

Thanks

B.R.
SL
Hello Stephen,

Your final sentence is perfect :)
What is the meaning of '"Avec de telles connaissances' ?
Hello Crack1,

It means "with this knowledge".
With this knowledge I could talk about time and the salutation without any difficulty.

The above doesn't sound good English.
Could you translate into correct English?
"With this knowledge I can tell the time and say hello without any difficulty"

The "with this knowledge" part is a bit weird and unnecessary, both in French and English.
I would agree with to say the words 'With this knowledge' is weird.

He has some knowledge of French/English so as to tell the time and say hello without any difficulty"
I think "parler du temps" would more readily be interpreted as meaning talking about the weather, though, no? P.S. Is the "with this knowledge" bit really so terribly bad?
I have no knowledge of working in mines.

To the best of my knowledge, Neil knows everything when it comes to French.

I have some knowledge about hardware.

With this knowledge ..... [ Sounds odd to my ears.]

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service