French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Does this phrase  "Si vous n'aimez pas la France allez vous faites fut"  mean "if you don't like france go get stuff"  ,  I can't remember the last word this guy said "fait fut"  i think my spelling is wrong.   And I think he meant " if you don't like france go get fuck"  yeah, I am quite sure.

Oh, just one more translation please,  " They nailed Jesus to the tree because he claimed to be the son of God".

Views: 4714

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It would be "foutre", though it's a bit odd to use this kind of expression in a context with "vous". If you the setting isn't familiar enough, or you're not trying to insult them enough to use "tu" where "vous" would normally be demanded, then the expression is probably inappropriate.

Ils ont crucifié Jésus parce qu'il s'est fait Fils de Dieu.  Got this from a French bible on Internet.

This translation is quite..."biblical". In modern french you could say "Ils ont crucifiés Jésus car il se disait le Fils de Dieu"

Neil >> you can use "vous" with "foutre" if the person talk to several people, or in a stylistic figure to make a contrast between the polite use of "vous" and the rude expression 'foutre'

Yes, it would be "vous" in the plural of course-- I was assuming singular, though now I re-read the post I see I have no reason for that assumption. And yes obviously it's always possible to mix different registers that are usually incompatible for deliberate effect. I was trying to explain what would be the "usual" situation I suppose, and also give a word of caution.

By the way, faites is wrong as well. The insult should be:

"Si vous n'aimez pas la France allez vous faire foutre"

The same verb is used in other vulgar expressions such as foutez-moi la paix = (loosely) shut the fuck up. I think the actual direct translation of foutre is simply thrust -- the vernacular usage is obviously metaphorical.

Stu I guess your translation sounds more like it.

Thanks

Yes, one meaning of "foutre", and arguably the 'basic' meaning, is essentially "put" (or, closer to the register, "stick", "shove").
In my opinion the basic meaning of "foutre" is not "put", but more likely "Faire" or "Travailler".
Some exemples:
"Mais qu'est-ce que tu fous ?"
"Aujourd'hui je n'ai vraiment rien foutu !"
"C'est terrible, je n'ai vraiment rien à foutre !"
Of course "foutre" = "mettre" is also quite common:
"On a foutu un de ces bordels !"

"Foutre" also mean semen (and has several other meanings)

And to conclude I would say you can use equally both expressions: "allez-vous faire foutre !" and "allez-vous faire mettre !". Expressions that you can easily translate by a simple "Fuck you !"
With regards to your translation, "ils cloué Jesus à l'arbre parce que il a affirmé être le fils du Dieu" - but certainly don't trust my word on it.
Are you french Asteria? I hope your translation is correct because that is the part I want translated, the part that says 'nail to the tree' well, it is sort of cynical way of saying crucify on the cross.
Thank you Asteria. Is this name Asteria in the cartoon?

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service