French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

would somone be kind enough to point out to me the difference between saying "Je suis un professor" and "Je suis professor", normally when you say you are a doctor or a nurse you just say "je suis medicine" or Je suis infirmier" what happen when you made a mistake and say "Je suis un professor" because it is a direct translation from english " I am a professor".

Views: 3935

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When referring to a person's profession or religion, the indefinite is not used in French, although it is used in English.

Je suis professeur.
I am a teacher.

Il va être médecin.
He's going to be a doctor.
..................................................................................................................
The indefinite article usually refers to an unspecified person or thing.

J'ai trouvé un livre.
I found a book.

Il veut une pomme.
He wants an apple.
The indefinite article can also refer to just one of something:

Il y a un étudiant dans la salle.
There is one student in the room.

J'ai une sœur.

[ Do remember that French and English have different spelling for the word 'professor'. ]
Merci beaucoup, Crack1, this is indeed a good forum . Have a nice day.
Both are potentially possible sentences of French, but there's a subtle difference. If you say 'je suis professeur', you're essentially stating what your job is. If you say 'je suis un professeur', you're talking about your nature/what kind of person you are (cf English "I'm a teacher at heart").
What I learned from learning French is unusual. There are numerous differences between the French and English usages of indefinite articles.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service