French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Is it correct to say - ' je suis trés content d'avoir l'opportunitè de parler avec vous.  I mean to say; I am very happy to have the opportunity to talk to you. Or am I supposed to use l'occasion rather than opportunité: Please advise. Merci d'avance:

Views: 1001

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Since none of the native French have responded I'll have a go.

Yes, occasion is the right word. Opportunité means opportuneness, timeliness.
Thank you Stu for your reponse. When I look in the dictionary Opportunity also means opportunity in french but they don't use it as in english so it should be Occasion.
Much obliged for your reply to my question. Good day
In fact you can use both.
"Je suis trés content d'avoir l'opportunité de vous parler"
Sounds good to me (it's commonly used)
"Je suis trés content d'avoir l'occasion de vous parler" can also be used...
And you can even make a mix:
"Je suis trés content d'avoir l'opportunité de vous parler en la présente occasion".
With « très » instead of « très » it’s even better…
As Benoit says, both words can be used as the equivalent of English "opportunity". In addition, the French word opportunité can cover meanings such as "opportuneness", "timeliness", "suitability" etc.

Some prescriptivists don't like the first meaning of "opportunity". But it's widely used both in everyday usage and in formal writing in well-respected journals etc.
Je dois remercie à vous tous- Benôit et Neil. It is good to hear I did not make a mistake as I previously thought I had. This forum is really helpful. Thanks for all the good work to those who volunter to help. Cheers.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service