French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hey my wife and i are starting to learn french together and travelling to france next year for a couple of weeks to paint and enjoy the french lifestyle. So for christmas i bought her a box easel to take around with us. i want to get a line from her favourite poem engraved onto it:

" I would pick more daisies"

Dont want to use an online translator because i need to get it perfect so if anyone could help it'd be greatly appreciated

Views: 48

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

« plus » is quite disturbing, but I guess it’s just a matter of personal feeling.
Oups, wrong manipulation... The full version :

A literal translation would give:
"Je cueillerais plus de marguerites".
But frankly it doesn't sound very "poetic" in French (it's grammatically correct but less poetic than in its English original form)

Perhaps something like:
« J’irais cueillir des marguerites ».
Or just
« Je cueillerais des marguerites »

« plus » is quite disturbing, but I guess it’s just a matter of personal feeling.
...But wait for other opinions.

And I forgot: welcome in France!
As Benoît says, the literal translation would be "Je cueillerais plus de marguerites", but it doesn't sound exactly poetic. There are potentially better-sounding versions (e.g. "maintes fleurs" = "a myriad flowers"), but how much these distort the original is difficult to tell without seeing other lines around that line. Taken out of context, it's a bit difficult.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service