French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

in english, "deplore" means to strongly disapprove of something.  but from the examples i see, it merely means "to regret" in french as in the sentence below:

Nous déplorons la disparition de ce grand humaniste.     

is there any difference between "de'plorer" and "regretter"?  Tx

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think.

"déplorer" is more often used with dead victims.

When "déplorer" is used in an other context, it's generally a formal or litterary text.

so just confirm, there's really no difference between de'plorer and regretter and yes, i see it used for victims of accidents, etc.  

but it's not used as it's only used in english which is to strongly condemn something.  there's also the adjective "deplorable" as in "deplorable behavior, deplorable conditions."  it's not about regret.  

"déplorable" is used as "comportement déplorable" and "conditions déplorables" meaning that it's unacceptable.

But "déplorable" is used as "regrettable" too. 

There is a slightly difference between "regretter" and "déplorer". But they are used in the same conditions. To say the same thing, the same thought.

Déplorer quelque chose = pleurer sur quelque chose

Regretter quelque chose = Eprouver de la peine en pensant à quelque chose.

so deplorer is more intense cuz u cry whereas w regretter u simply experience pain but don't cry? 

The root of the word seems to mean that, but now people use both of them without respect the difference.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service