French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

L'amour rend aveugle.

Does the above mean 'love is blind' in French?

Elle est aveugle de naissance.

She was blind by birth.

Il est devenu borgne à la suite d'un grave accident.

He became a one-eyed man as a consequence of a terrible accident.

I know my French sentences are correct. I hope I understood them correctly and translated into English.

Please help me.

Views: 766

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes.

Yes.

Yes :)
Maybe He was blinded in one eye following... would be more natural English, but you have the idea.
I thank both Frank and Neil for the replies.

L'amour rend aveugle.

L'amour est aveugle. [ What is wrong with this?]

What is the root verb for 'rend'?
Is it rendre?
Please tell me.
Neil, on a slightly related track, can you tell us about the adjective borné? I think it means handicapped, doesn't it? Is it slang or good French? What's the connection to the noun bornes, slang for kilometres, after the kilometre markers along the old Routes Nationales?
Hi Stu,

"borné" has a couple of meanings.

The primary meaning is "bounded", placed within certain limits or within a numerical range. This is the connection with "bornes".

Another meaning, which is definitely informal, but not really slang, is not really handicapped, but narrow-minded, one-dimensional.
Frank

You missed my latest question.
Hi Crack,

rend is indeed the rendre verb for the 3rd person, present.
Frank
You missed the following question.

L'amour est aveugle. [ What is wrong with this?]
Hi Crack,

Nothing's really wrong with this.

While "L'amour rend aveugle" sounds more natural, "L'amour est aveugle" is correct and when it comes to their meanings, I'm not convinced that there is any difference between them.
I'm not sure there's anything wrong with it per se, it's just that using rend is a common alternative. You could also say L'amour est un bandeau sur les yeux-- there's not always just one way of saying something...
Could you say
Les yeux bandées d'amour.....
I need the e agreement in bandees because œil is feminine? or is yeux plural considered masculin?
Pam
Hi Pam!

Actually œil is masculine, so it should be bandés.

But for some reason, we wouldn't say "bandés". This verb means to be really blindfolded. It is rarely used with something that you can't touch like love.

voilés and cachés are more versatile and can be used with objects or with something like love.

Les yeux voilés par l'amour
Les yeux cachés par l'amour

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service