French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

How do I make "Mon frère veut tout manger" into negative?
I think it is
mon frère ne veut rien manger
is it right?

Thanks in advance

Views: 608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes that is correct:

I am pretty sure you would also be allowed to say :

"mon frère ne veut  manger  rien "

"mon frère ne veut  manger  rien " is bad.

What you said is good.

I stand corrected but "mon frère ne veut  manger  rien "  would be fairly common wouldn't it? (even if "wrong")

Well I'm french and it looks quite strange for me. Maybe it can be correct but I won't say that ^^

If you wanted to put a strong  emphasis on the "rien"  would it be acceptable then ?

You can say "mon frère ne veut rien manger du tout".

Thank you both.
I think you can say both but what I said is grammatically correct

Hello,

there is another alternative: "Mon frère ne veut pas tout manger" which is the exact negative form of your first sentence whereas 

Mon frère ne veut rien manger is the contrary of it.

They don't mean the same!

Thanks for the point of the distinction.

There is another distinction: "tout" and "rien" in those 2 examples represent the amount of food; but in the one by Antoine, "ne veut rien manger du tout" , "rien" and "du tout" represent the low level of the desire to eat.

Do you agree with that analysis?

In the same vein, what does "Je ne regrette rien" refer to: the things to regret about (none) , or the level of regret (at zero) ?

Hello Robert,

je ne veux rien manger du tout  literally means I don't want to eat anything (at all) so the speaker has no desire to eat at all

Je ne regrette rien:  I don't regret anything (I did/I've done), If I had the chance I would do everything just the same.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service