French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

In the following, is 'de fait' required as 'correct' locution, or will 'en fait' also work to the same effect? Merci. Bonne année à tous.

Candidat du gouvernement grec au poste de président, Stavros Dimas n'a pas recueilli les 180 voix nécessaires pour être élu, ce qui entraîne de fait une dissolution du Parlement et l'organisation dans les prochaines semaines de nouvelles élections législatives.

Views: 449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think "de fait' may here  mean "de facto"  but used in French as an adverb whereas "de facto " is (I think) used as an adjectival phrase in English.

'En fait' won't work to the same effect.  

As George says 'de fait' means 'de facto'. One could also say  'ce qui entraîne de facto une dissolution', the meaning  would remain the same.

I think 'en fait' is very close to 'actually'

-at the begining of a sentence it's just a sort of starter word with no precise meaning (A : Tu es allé où pour le réveillon ? B : En fait j'étais avec des amis et on est allé...) ; it's limited to oral style

-in the middle of a reasoning it indicates a rectification which cancels what was said before (Je pensais que ce serait dur, en fait c'était facile) 

Thank you. That makes perfect sense. By the way, 'de facto' also appears as adverb in English, if at less frequency than as adjective: Absent an adult, the oldest boy became, de facto, the man of the house.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service