French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I have some text that I want to translate as accurately as possible from French to English, and I have run across a verbal form that I do not believe I have ever seen before "arriver dans." (Oh, it is 18th century French so it may not be a current form.) Here is the whole sentence

Sous l’un et l’autre de ces points de vue, il est encore intéressé à ce qu’il n’arrive pas dans la valeur des denrées de ces secousses subites qui, en plongeant le peuple dans les horreurs de la disette, peuvent troubler la tranquillité publique et la sécurité des citoyens et des magistrats.

I think the sense of the clause in bold type is "that no shock happen in the value of food so sudden that," but I have never seen this form before. (I should say I took my last class in French in 1964 so my French is very, very rusty.)

Views: 548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I might venture an answer to that questions-
'Des' is not appropriate because it implies actuality : some secousses already happens.
'De ces secousses' allows secousses to remain an abstraction, which is the intent: there is only a desire that the shock not happen, a subjunctive context.

So is it current French to use the "de ces  secousses" or "de ces ...(any other suitable noun) " to mean "some (or one)  of those  shocks" ?

Is it  a common usage?  I like it but can't say I have come across it  before really and don't feel comfortable with it.

yes quite common, for instance you have the expression:

un de ces quatre matins (at some point in the near future)

other examples:

un de ces jours où tout va de travers (one of these days when everything goes awry)

J'aime le souvenir de ces époques nues (Beaudelaire)

I Love to Think of Those Naked Epochs

it can also be a means to emphasize something:

- Tu m'as fait une de ces peurs!

- Il y avait alors un de ces orages.

- J'ai hâte d'arriver au restaurant; j'ai une de ces faims!

No , Vedas I disagree. All your examples are of  "un de ces...." (which I am familiar with)

Here it seems to be  simply " de ces  secousses..."   without the "un" . I can still see how that might  also make sense but it is a different construction  surely?

Here it is " intéressé à ce qu’il n’arrive pas ..................de ces secousses subites qui....."

not "une de ses secousses"

The 'de' in the current example seems not to mean some amount of something. It is just a preposition needed by the verb arriver. You will find many similar usages :

Il bénéficiera de ces facilités jusqu'à l'expiration des délais de recours.

Le gaz arrive de ces pays par canalisations.

"De ces" and "un de ces" have an emphatic use :

J'ai vu de ces choses... Tu ne me croirais pas si je te racontais !

J'ai vu une de ces voitures... Elle était à tomber par terre !

In the emphatic use there's a kind of break in the flow of speech and that break doesn't match with a regular syntactic end.  

The difference between "de ces" and "un de ces"  is plural vs. singular : "de ces" refers to several things, "une de ces" only one.

"De ces" and  "un de ces" have also a regular meaning which has nothing to do with emphasis. "De ces secousses..." is in that case.

"Un de ces" is selective, it gets out one thing from a group,  like in  English :

J'ai vu (l')une de ces voitures, mais je ne me souviens plus laquelle exactement.

"De ces" often goes with "que/qui" and it works as an indirect identification of vaguely similar things :   

J'ai mangé de ces fruits qu'on ne trouve qu'aux Antilles

J'ai rencontré de ces hommes qui vous font vraiment sentir femme

Il est encore intéressé à ce qu’il n’arrive pas (...) de ces secousses subites qui (...) peuvent troubler la tranquillité publique

Actually the adressee (or the reader) is supposed to already know what is suggested or already having experienced it. The meaning can be allusive on purpose at times and at other times the thing is just too vague to be clearly named.       

Thanks Gregory.Yes that makes sense. I had come across it I am sure  but I had kind of forgotten it  and was unsure of it ,perhaps because it is a way of speaking that I have never felt comfortable using myself.

Gregory

Thank you, and all who have commented. I see now that what confused me is not an idiom, merely a usage that I never grasped (or possibly forgot long ago). Moreover, the intervening phrase starting with "dans" threw me. "Dans" is one of those words that seems to elude my mind, and the sentence structure with that intervening clause strikes me as very unFrench though it would not have surprised me in German. 

I have been following this thread through its twists and turns. And I would like to come back in by showing what my most recent translation is and asking for any comments. I want to stay close to the original French while writing clear and idiomatic English.

[The state] “is especially interested that there not occur in the price of necessities those sudden shocks that, by plunging the people into the horrors of shortage, may threaten the public tranquility and the safety of citizens and magistrates.” 

Notice by the way the distinction between "le peuple" and "les citoyens." Turgot may well have been a man with a good heart, but he was still a man of his age.

For those who are curious, the quotation itself is from what Turgot intended to be a draft of an Eloge de Vincent de Gournay, as Vedas appears to have figured out on his own. Turgot did not expect its appearance in print unedited, which may explain what I still think is a rather awkward sentence.  

Again, thank you all for your help. I'll be back for more. It is sad to have forgotten so many languages. If you do not use them, you do lose them.

Jeff

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service