French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Dans ce qui suit, peut-on remplacer les prépositions 'à' et 'de' l'un par l'autre? Si non, pourquoi?

Ce livre est difficile à lire.
Il est difficile de lire ce livre.

Merci beaucoup.
Robert

Views: 361

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you would not say "Ce livre est difficile de lire." but you can say "Il est difficile de lire ce livre."

Again you can say "Ce livre est difficile à lire." and I think you would not say say "Il est difficile à lire ce livre."

If I am correct.

Thank you so much.
But they are **prepositions** aren't they, same word in the title of your blog.

Bravo pour votre réponse ! 

Avant de la lire, j'avais (en vain) compulsé mon "Grevisse" pour trouver la clé du mystère... Votre explication est parfaitement claire et convaincante.

"La clé du mystère" ??? Pourquoi pas la clé au mystère ??

I've learned (so to speak) several languages, and I teach English to people from other language families, and I tell you, prepositions are murder  ;-))

Thank you, however, Madame le Professeur.  (And then there are the articles . . . )

Susan,

In the expression "la clé du mystère", "mystère" is in the equilavent of a genitive case, as complement to the noun "clé". Genitives (namely possessive case : ~ 's) are normally introduced with preposition "de" (and its various forms : du - for "de le", masc. sing ; des - for "de les", masc./fem. plural).

Using "à" - "au" (contraction of "à le"), "aux" (contr. of "à les") to express a relation of possession belongs either to loose register of language (Ex. La voiture à mon père, inst. of "la voiture de mon père"), or to ancient usage, or to frozen expressions ("La bête à bon Dieu" - God's bug = ladybird ; "L'herbe à Nicot", Nicot's herb = tobacco, which is said to have been introduced into Europe by Jean Nicot, a French diplomat !).

"à" would be used in genitive case as the translation of  the English "to". (Ex. "Le monument aux Morts" -  monument to the Dead = war memorial), or "with"(namely in culinary language ; "Poulet à la crème" - chicken with cream sauce).

Can 'la clé au mystère' be not a possessive relationship at all? - an object not possessed, but somehow fitting, like a person being friend to another.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service