French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I understand the structure 'Ne ... que' is for 'nothing but (this)' or 'only (this)'
But in this statement by François Hollande (Le Monde), he apparently meant that France will not intervene in Irak:

« Nous n'irons pas au-delà, il n'y aura pas de troupes au sol et nous n'interviendrons qu'en Irak », a assuré le président lors de sa conférence.

Should it have been 'nous n'interviendrons pas en Irak'? Was it an error?

Views: 310

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The basic meaning is "only" (or in some cases, related notions such as "unless", "not until").

For the purpose of understanding, imagine that it is "not... except...". So they're saying "we will not intervene, except in Iraq"... in other words, "we will intervene only in Iraq".

(The "not.. except..." is just to help understanding. It's not really true because, for example, there are occasions when the "ne" is omitted and "que" still means "only". But to get you started, it might help you to understand.)

Neil, thanks. I got the impression of 'no intervention in Iraq' from how Mr. Hollande was so emphatic about no troops on the ground in Iraq and no going in further than air power to aid the Iraqis. But then obviously air power is a form of intervention.
So the safest interpretation is by semantic, 'intervene only in Iraq,' like you said.
I suspect this is an instance of fumbling or equivocation, to which French politicos should be just as prone as our American ones.

He is saying that he won't intervene in Syria. I think his meaning is clear.

I wouldn't necessarily say that it's fumbling: "ne ... que ..." is a fairly common construction.

Your interpretation is right, Robert. And there is definitely no fumbling in this construction. Hollande meant to say France will ONLY intervene in Irak, and not elsewhere (i.e. in Syria)

Jacques

No , he meant, " we will interfere only in Irak.

"Ne .... que "
limits the action of the verb ," intervenir" to what follows after ," que"

Here , " en Irak"

That means only in Irak they would intervene.
Je vous suis reconnaissante. J'offre des excuses à M. Hollande. Il a été que 'qu'en Irak.'

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service