French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi folks,

Pls help me to correct my translation. Thanks in advance.

The software on Open Source covered by the undersigned, in brief, include;
Le logiciel sur Open Source couvert par le sous-signé, en bref, incluent

I'm not going to list all projects and software in Open Source covered by me here because of space.
Je ne vais pas mentionner tous les projets et logiciel dans Open Source couvert par moi ici en raison de l'espace

Neither the software in Open Source not listed in this resume are construed as I cannot work on them
Ni l'un ni l'autre le logiciel dans Open Source non mentionné dans ce résumé ne sont interprétés car je ne peux pas travailler à elles.

Cordialement
Stephen L

Views: 142

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The software on Open Source covered by the undersigned, in brief, include;
Le logiciel sur Open Source couvert par le sous-signé, en bref, incluent

Le logiciel Open Source, traité par le soussigné, comprend :

I'm not going to list all projects and software in Open Source covered by me here because of space.
Je ne vais pas mentionner tous les projets et logiciel dans Open Source couvert par moi ici en raison de l'espace

Almost perfect:
Je ne vais pas mentionner tous les projets et logiciels open source dont il est question ici en raison de l'espace limité

Neither the software in Open Source not listed in this resume are construed as I cannot work on them
Ni l'un ni l'autre le logiciel dans Open Source non mentionné dans ce résumé ne sont interprétés car je ne peux pas travailler à elles.

Mind to rephrase this? Do you mean that you are unable to use them?

If you want me to review your whole resume, feel free to send it through PM or email.
I wonder if by "software" what is meant is logiciels in the plural?

The phrase "software on Open Source" would literally mean "the software on the Open Source web site" -- is that what is meant, or do you just mean "open source software"?
Hi Neil,

> I wonder if by "software" what is meant is logiciels in the plural?

In English software can be plural, not softwares. I don't know in French. Is there a plural form?

> The phrase "software on Open Source" would literally
> mean "the software on the Open Source web site"
> -- is that what is meant, or do you just mean
> "open source software"?

Yes

Cordialement
Stephen
In English, software is uncountable (i.e. people don't say a software, some softwares etc), but in French equivalent words are usually normal, countable nouns.

So, "software" can be either un software, un logiciel (etc) or des softwares, des logiciels, depending on exactly what is meant.

The same is generally true of related portmanteau words-- progiciel, didacticiel, partagiciel, graticiel etc.
Yes

So is it the former or the later? Is it a web site called "Open Source" or are you referring to open source software?
Hi Franks,

It seems the postings on this thread NOT being in time order, jumping over one another.

Just sent you 2 PMs about 5 minutes ago. I have to split my PM into 2 Parts, Part-1 and Par-2 because the max characters on each PM is limited to 40000 characters. Please check my PMs. Thanks.

I'm waiting for your reply to my posting at 13 hours ago. Please help.

On the PMs there are technical terms on IT as well as on Derivatives, Stock trading product. It is NOT easy for me to translate them to French. Pls help.

B.R.
Stephen L
Hi Stephen,

Got your PMs. I'm going to review them ASAP.
Hi Frank,

> Almost perfect:
> Je ne vais pas mentionner tous les projets
> et logiciels open source dont il est question
> ici en raison de l'espace limité

What does it mean "dont il est question ici"?

> Mind to rephrase this? Do you mean that you are unable to use them?

It doesn't mean that I can't work on the Open Source software not being listed in the resume.

Making the sentence more literally;
It can't be construed that I can't work on the Open Source software not listed in the resume.

> If you want me to review your whole resume, feel free to send it
> through PM or email

Yes, I'll.

On clicking "Send Me", it popup;
Add Frank as a friend?

You and Frank must be friends before you can send messages. Frank will have to confirm your friendship.

Include personal message

[Add as Friends] [Cancel]
- end -

Whether I have to click [Add as Friends] before I can send the PM. OR I have to wait until you confirm first before I can send the PM.

Cordialement
Stephen L
Hi Stephen,

Check your PM box :)

What does it mean "dont il est question ici"?

dont il est question ici is a formal way to say "mentioned here".

I can't come up with a literal translation that wouldn't sound unnatural. One way to rephrase it could be:
La liste de logiciels open source de ce CV n'est pas exhaustive.
(exhaustive = not limited to)
Hi Frank,

Noted and thanks

SL

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service