French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

can someone check my work? And only if you can, translate it into english? :)

Je dois pas partager avec ma soeur. Le murs de ma chambre sont bleus et vert, très jolie. J'ai choisi les couleurs moi-même. Dans la chambre j'ai lit confortable, un bureau avec une bleu lampe ou je peux faire mes devoirs, une armoire et une commade ou je mets mes vêtements. Mon lit en face de mon commade. Au mur j'ai des posters de mon groupe prefere. Pour mon anniversaire l'annee derniere j'ai recu une petite tele, donc mon televiseur est sur une table.La table en face de mon l'armoire. J'adore ma chambre parce qu'elle est tres confortable. Heureusement j'ai ma propre chambre, deuxième par semaine. À l'avenir  je voudrais ma propre chambre. 

Thankyou :)

Views: 2927

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In the first text, the difficult point  is what she wanted to say with "deuxième par semaine". This part has no meaning in french (and looks like nothing - I have zero idea)

A possibility is (as you said before) "dans deux semaines" (but maybe it's not the meaning she wanted.)

Let us suppose it is "dans deux semaines" all the text has another meaning : she describes the room she will have in two weeks. So in French, descriptions are in present form, and actions are in future form.

But if the bedroom is her presently bedroom, "deuxième par semaine" = ????? and the correct text is the previous one.

And George confirmed that "propre chambre" = "own room"

If she had the room "every other week"  how would you express it in French?

Would it be "toutes (tout?) les deux semaines"?

I mean if it was one week for her sister and the following week for herself so that they took it in turns.

one week for her sister and one week for herself = "une semaine sur deux".

we express "elle occupe la chambre une semaine sur deux"

(but it's not "sa propre chambre".)

with "toutes les deux semaines" we have no idea about the time she spends in her bedroom.

it's rather for "elle vient toutes les deux semaines" = she is coming a day (why not this sunday 02/02) and so she will come sunday 02/16. But there is no precision about how long time she uses to stay every time.

It is the same with 'every other week' -no implied duration.
If you want to be clear, you will say 'I have the room for a week every other week.'
So it has to be 'une semaine sur deux' to indicate that duration.

Chantal, there is no 'how long time' in English. There are these forms:
How long she stays
How long a time she stays
Thankyou so much, everyone :D

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service