French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I am hoping for a familiar  or slang register translation as two teenagers would talk to each other.   I am hoping to communicate  frustration / I am done with this discussion.  One girl is telling another, her friend is just being naive and stupid.

Ah, bon. Hélas ton ami est en cours de naïf. Laisse béton !

Am I close? 

thank you all again.

Views: 276

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am not properly qualified to answer (at first I didn't even understand ) but I realize now that these are slang expressions and that ,for example "Laisse béton" is verlan for "Laisse tomber ".

As slang is notoriously quick to go out of fashion I can't say whether  anyone would actually talk like that now.Hopefully one of the native French speakers  who visit this site wmaybe able to tell you.

At first sight the use of "Hélas" strikes me as odd in this context as I would associate it with  formal usage.But I could well be  wrong.

OK.  Using Verlan is not my goal I guess.  Can you help with an informal dialogue ?  I agree misusing trendy slang from 10 years ago is clumsy and certainly does not sound natural.

Hello.

Your sentence is not ok. But I am not sure to understand what you want.

I understand you want that a girl (#1) says to another one (#2) that her friend (a man who is friend of #2) is stupid ? in a slang language ?

(I am going to ask my son - 15)

two girls talking to each other.  The first girl is trying to warn second girl that the second girl is being naïve / taken advantage of by her bf.  Just want to say...

"Ok...fine.   You are being naïve and stupid. That is certain."

Thank you.  I am pathetic at the language, but want to sound appropriate for the 21 year old attitude.

ok

so they are 21 years old. t

laisse beton = as George said = laisse tomber. it's an old expression less used.

there are many possibilities :

if the two girls have class they may say :

- ah bon. t'es trop naïve. ça c'est sur.

if the two girls are more usual or vulgar

- ah bon..  t'es conne ...  ça c'est sur" you may add "laisse tomber ce mec" or "oublie"

thank you!

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service