French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I would love to learn French. My problem is I live in an English-speaking city (Vancouver) with no one to converse with in French. I am developing a web site that I hope Francophones can use. I have a welcome message in French that I painstakingly constructed. I wonder if someone can tell me if it sounds correct: Bienvenue à vie de Quartier Panneau d'Affichage!

Merci
Joelle

Views: 237

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Uhh......... What exactly were you trying to say? Because what you wrote just makes no sense...
Thanks Marc
Really? I'm worried now. Please see my longer reply below.
I know what you're trying to say:

Soyez les bienvenus à notre réunion de quartier!
Hi Cedrick,

Soyez les bienvenus à notre réunion de quartier!
Welcome to our neighborhood meeting !

Is the translation correct?

Cordialement
Stephen L
Hi Stephen,

Your translation is correct, however I'm not convinced that it actually is what Keolo was trying to say.
Bravo!
Merci to Marc, Cedrick, Stephen and Frank for taking time to reply to my query. I wish I can reply in French but you would not understand a thing.

I did not put the English translation of what the sentence was because I wanted to see if it makes sense to you if you just read the French version.

What I meant to be translated was: "Welcome to your neighbourhood organizer". I had a friend look at it and she said it is correct - however although she was educated in Universite du Quebec a trois-Rivieres, she is not a Francophone. And I understand that a French sentence can have several different meanings depending on how you look at it.

In this case, is Cedrick's (Soyez les bienvenus à notre réunion de quartier!) translation more representative of the English equivalent?

Merci again
then it should be:

Soyez les bienvenus à votre réunion de quartier!
Thank you!

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service