French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

1] Wherever I go in life, I will remember your kindness.
Où que j'aille dans la vie, je me souviendrai de votre gentillesse.

2] He'll never go far in life; he's too lazy.

3] She's come very far in life since she was a teenager.

I am unable to translate the 2nd and 3rd sentences into French.
Please help me!

Views: 61

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

1) is perfect

2) Il n'ira jamais (bien) loin dans la vie; il est trop paresseux

3) Elle a fait du chemin depuis son adolescence.

A literal translation would be very unnatural here.
As usual Crack you ask great questions, and Frank answers without fail!
Comme d'habitude, Crack, tu pose des bonnes questions, et Frank ne faut pas repondre.

Frank , is my response correct? Pam
Remember that in French, faut is only unsed impersonally nowadays and really carries the meaning of "need", "is necessary".

For what you want to express, have a look at the verb manquer (de) and see if you can come up with an appropriate sentence!

I think usually it would be de bonnes questions, at least in more-or-less careful usage and/or where you want to emphasise the word bonnes, as arguably is the case here. [A Google search bears this out overwhelmingly, by the way.] But you will also hear des though, at least in everyday speech-- so I guess it's not "wrong" as such.
Comme d'habitude, Crack pose de bonnes questions, et Frank ne manque jamais en repondre.
Ok Neil, did I get closer??
Neil wrote the following:

Remember that in French, faut is only used impersonally nowadays and really carries the meaning of "need", "is necessary".

5] Il me faut des lunettes.
I need eyeglasses.

6] Il lui faut des lunettes.
He needs eyeglasses.
The 5th and 6th sentences don't border the so-called impersonal nature.

Il me faut faire I need to do
Remember impersonal constructions are ones where the subject il is just a "dummy" subject and doesn't really refer to anything. In il me faut..., il lui faut... etc, il is grammatically still the subject (it's the element that the verb agrees with).

For those that want to go into a bit more detail, "impersonal" is actually a rather broad term that tends to be used to refer to various constructions that actually have different grammatical properties.

In general, impersonal verbs/constructions have a few special features:
- the subject can actually be omitted altogether in a few cases, notably informal expressions like faut voir!, faut pas s' plaindre!, faut faire avec! etc;
- the impersonal il can't usually be the subject of an infinitive, so e.g. speakers wouldn't generally say e.g.:

il est nécessaire de ... sans falloir ....

Weather verbs (pleuvoir, neiger etc) actually have special properties, and behave a bit more like "normal" verbs (e.g. the subject can be ça, and you can say e.g. il pleut sans neiger). Some speakers also allow e.g. tu as fait pleuvoir ("you made it rain"), whereas it isn't grammatical to say tu as fait falloir....

The "true" impersonal verbs falloir and s'agir have one or two other exceptional properties. For example, they don't allow a verb phrase in the subject position. So for example while you can say:

Il est nécessaire qu'elle vienne demain.
Qu'elle vienne demain est nécessaire.

but e.g. this doesn't work with falloir:

Il faut qu'elle vienne demain.
Qu'elle vienne demain faut.

This is just to point out that the word "impersonal" is sometimes abused or at least used very loosely to talk about different types of verbs/constructions.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service