French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I believe I read this sentence in the french version of wikipedia about berlin: 

"on a privilégié les lignes de métro."  

It means "to favor" (british "favour"), yet when i looked up the english word, they have "favoriser" which they say is with regard to a person.  there is no mention of "privilégier."  is it used when not about a person?  If so, I would imagine "favoriser" would also be used in that case as well.   

Views: 79

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hello

"privilégier" = "favoriser"

Both words are used for a person or a thing.  The difference is very thin.

here "privilégier" = there was a choice to do and the winner was ...

"favoriser"  is more "to give an advantage"

so here "favoriser les lignes de métro" is not as good.

thank you as always, chantal.  since you say the difference is very slight, i won't split hairs over it.  however, just for the fun of it, it would be interesting if someone could illustrate the distinction.  you say that "favoriser" is giving an advantage to one party over another.  but it seems that "privilégier" is used exactly the same in the sentence i cited -- the metro has intentionally been given priority/resources over other modes of transportation.         

Hello,

Depending on contexts "privilégier" would mean to "give priority" and favoriser "to encourage/promote", the difference may be that when you encourage something it doesn't mean that it will be adopted whereas it is the case with "give priority "

Les privilégiers also means the privileged/ classes

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service