French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

A very helpful site I recently discovered.  Look up a word and you get a paragraph using the word and a translation of the entire paragraph in the other language.  

Views: 1862

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for sharing this Alan.

I have just tried it out. It is excellent and I have now bookmarked it!

Regards

Jon

Just a word of caution, though. Sites like this can be very useful if used cautiously. I and many other translators use such sites among the weapons in our armoury. However, among the translations listed, you will find a number of translations that are either out-and-out wrong or at best questionable.

For it's worth, I also run a similar site (translationexamples.com) taking its data mainly from translations of parliament proceedings. This means that the the translations are generally fairly trustable, though a narrower field of vocabulary is obviously covered. However, as with linguee.fr, it is still a tool to be used cautiously, not a magical solution to all your problems.

Thanks for the advice Neil. I've now gained another bookmark!

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service