French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Is there a difference between

"un de ces jours"

and

"un de ces quatre matins"?

Are they interchangeable?  Is there a connotation to the latter that isn't obvious?

Is the second expression universal; i.e., can it be used in France, Quebec, Haiti, etc.?

Views: 1152

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Intuitively I'd say that "un de ces quatre matins" (which is an ellipsis and comes from 'un de ces quelques matins') means that something is down to happen quite soon whereas "un de ces jours " refers to something that might happen anytime (sooner or later). But you could use one or the other without affecting the overall meaning of the sentence.

Both are commonly used in France.

I am more familiar  with "un de ces quatres"  which I think means the same thing as  "un de ces quatres matins".

I have read that  "un de ces quatres" is an ellipsis for "un de ces quatre matins" but  I am not sure that  'un de ces quelques matins'  has the same meaning-or would be much used.

I can't tell you if the expression is used universally in the French speaking areas.

"un de ces quelques matins" is the origin of the expression then "quelques" turned into "quatre" so yes you're right  "un de ces quelques matins" is no more used

There is also "à un de ces quatre"which means see you soon

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service