French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Ils ne vont jamais en boîte
They never go to discos.

I found the above in an online dictionary.
Is it correct? Does the French word 'boîte' mean a disco?
For me 'boîte' means the mailbox.
I mean incoming mails are inside the 'boîte'.
It goes the same with your mobile phone. All the messages you have received are in the 'boîte de réception'.
...................................................................................................................................................

Il ne mange que des légumes.
He eats only vegetables.
I hope my French translation fine.
Please tell me.

Views: 87

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

boîte is not specifically a disco, but any kind of night-club. In argot, it's also used to mean a workplace.

"He eats only vegetables" is correct
"boîte" basically means club/nightclub; "aller en boîte" is the usual way to say "to go clubbing" (I'd probably translate it like this nowadays, rather than "to go to discos", which sounds a bit old-fashioned)
And while you won't hear the word "club" a lot in French, we do say "clubbing" a lot in order to describe this activity, "soirée clubbing" in order to describe a specific event, and "clubber" in order to describe people going clubbing (as opposed to "ravers").
Also, (une) "soirée" is an evening but it also often means a party, presumably in a club unless you explicitly mention what kind of an evening it is.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service