French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Bonjour tout le monde!

Mon programme préfére à la station radio "France Inter" est "On va tous y passer". Il y a beaucoup de personnes intéressantes, les histoires intéressantes. la comedie, etc et je trouve que je comprends beaucoup de la francais, qui n'est pas vrai de "Engrenages" a la television - c'est plus difficile pour moi! Mais comment doit-on traduire "On va tous y passer" a l'anglais.

My own interpretation is something like: -

"Let's all spend (some time together)", where "some time together" is just implied.

But I am probably totally wrong!

Merci beaucoup pour vos suggestions!

Jon

Views: 806

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Literally it seems to mean "we will all go there" -but I am not confident that I understand what is intended.

By the way do you know how I can download past episodes of  Engrenages (ideally with French subtitles) -I am not based in the UK?

I have downloaded the Captvty.fr application but Engrenages  doesn't seem to be included at the moment (I suppose it would be on the Canal+ channel....).

Thanks for your reply George.

Past episodes of  Engrenages are available from BBC iPlayer: -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0072wk9

But I don't know if the download links are available outside the UK. Also, I assume they will come with English subtitles, but probably not French?

Good luck anyway. It's a really good series, but I find I can only understand odd sentences here and there, whereas I understand a lot more on "France Inter"! I'll just keep working on it!

I can't translate for you

maybe it will be helpful : the title of this program means usually that everyone will be attacked  (nobody will be saved).

It is often used to say that everybody have to die a day, nobody can escape.

the idea is that everybody had to suffer from something and nobody can escape.

Merci beaucoup Chantal - je pense que je comprends maintenant!

Yes, it would be meaningless doing a literal translation, but it sounds very similar in meaning to the English phrases "It comes to us all" or "It will come to pass".

Thank you!

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service