French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I came across in an earlier post: 

"C'est uniquement pour te voir."  

"te voir" is confusing to me.  I would use "pour tu à voir."  Is "pour te voir" colloquial or is it equally correct?   

Views: 776

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have no idea what you mean by "pour tu à voir". 

"C'est uniquement pour te voir."  translates as "It is only to see you" but I doubt it's the whole sentence, it would probably go something like this:  

"si je viens c'est uniquement pour te voir", meaning that you are coming for one reason only, and that is to see this person

Actually, I was mistranslating it as "It's only for you to see."  I do know to use "te" in the correct translation.   

How would you say "It's only for you to see?"  If you still use "pour" than would it be "pour toi (rather than tu) à voir."      

I think it should be closer to : it's up to you - C'est à toi de voir

I would probably go with:

"c'est seulement/uniquement pour que tu puisses (...) voir (...)"

But you would have to put the thing that you want "tu" to see in one of the (...), which would result in something like this:

"je suis venu uniquement pour que tu puisses me voir" - I only came so you could see me

" cet examen a été crée uniquement pour que tu puisses évaluer ton niveau d'anglais" - This test was created only for you to assess your level in english

Mightbe helpful explain as follow (difference between tu the subject and  te personal pronoun used as object)

Je me vois - I see me

Je te vois - I see you

Je la (ou le) vois - I see him/her

Je vous vois - I see you

Je les vois - I see them

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service