French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi Neil.

Am working through a pattern for a child's coat translating from french.

Try as I might I can't get a translation for 'Couper a Cru'  eg (lainage se coupant a cru)   also.. would you know how to translate Laine bouillie...

Tks a lot

Views: 511

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I would be surprised if "Laine bouillie"  didn't translate simply as "boiled wool"

Here is a wikipedia link on the subject 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiled_wool

Would "cut from raw " make sense in your context?

"Couper à cru" is a sewing technical term.

It means that you are using a fabric that don't fray so you don't need to sew/finish the edges.

(maybe it will help you find a more appropriate word in English ...)

Yes I had an intimation it might mean  something along those lines  (the phrase  reminded me a little bit of "couper  a ras" ) but I am not familiar enough with sewing terms to provide an answer (even when I searched for the term "couper a cru"  I got very ,very few returns and examples  in Google)

All I can suggest ,if  a translation into English was needed  would be something like "simply cut" or "make a simple cut" .

Maybe with more context it would be clearer....

yes it's a technical term (didn't find it in a dictionary):

Finition à cru : le bord du vêtement ne subit pas de finition, le tissu est brut de coupe. 

cut raw edges?

rough cut?

seamless? Something like that?

http://straplingerie5.tumblr.com/(just over 3/4 of the way down)

"This uses a seamless cut method, rather than splicing, reducing the discomfort caused by the seams"

sounds good! 

for sure "seamless cut" is clearer that the French expression

though "raw-cut edges and seams/ raw -cut wool" seem to exist too!

This was the meaning I was leaning to because it seems to have something to do with not fraying. But wool frays at the edges so cutting it simply (which I translate cru as being) didn't seem to be the option...  It must be quite a specific technical term 

If the material (wool) is going to be hidden  on the inside of the garment and not exposed to the outside or rub against the body on the inside  then perhaps it will not matter if it frays a little bit.

I have seen material in the inside of some jackets (not woolen) where  there is no seam as it can be unnecessary as it is not really "exposed".

I am not sure how successful that would be with thick  wool but perhaps the wool you are talking about is not  so thick.(the jacket could be made up overall  of 2 or 3 different types of wool perhaps )

That's probably it. 

The material bought is a type of thickish felt which I think could be the laine bouille.

It could be that simply cutting it will be sufficient and if it begins to fray put some stitching around

Tks for your help

https://www.google.ie/search?q=aine+bouille&es_sm=93&source...

not sure if that is any help but it seems to show overcoats made of laine "bouillie"

It does. Tks a lot

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service