French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi,

I keep seeing a feature that keeps popping up whenever I read:

-So, I've learnt (from my previous posts) that for example, "qu'à" is the equivalent of a verb in -ing form without really a subject, e.g. rien qu'à voir.... - Just by judging...

so my question is: does "que de" fulfil the same function? What is the function of "que de" anyways? From my searches on the net I found that "que de" could mean "by" or "other than" But the explanations aren't too clear: Could someone please clarify this?

for example (I've provided the full sentence as to remove any ambiguities)

"Or il relève de l’euphémisme le plus élémentaire que de noter que les questions liées à l’islam et aux musulmans sont souvent anxiogènes dans le contexte socio-politique français."

on that note as well:

what would be the difference between

"que de s'interesser à"

and

"qu'à s'interesser à"

thank you in advance

Views: 4825

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"que de" is restrictive. You'll find translation in English  such as : "just" ; "only"

In the examples you give there is always an anticipatory form with an impersonal subject "il relève de". (it is just an euphemism but to note that....)

I don't know if it's really clear....

so should I use "que de" to indicate a restriction?

it's more complicated than that as in your example you have a superlative "le plus" that seems to trigger or accompany the use of "que de".

The conjunction "que" is often used to establish a comparison between 2 elements in sentences such as "autant ... que", "il vaut mieux que...", "préférer ... plutôt que", etc. If you have before it an infinitive, "que" can then be followed by the preposition "de" without being an obligation.

Examples :

- Autant en finir maintenant que de remettre cela à plus tard. (ou : Autant en finir maintenant que remettre cela à plus tard.)

- Il vaut mieux perdre la face que de perdre la tête. (ou : Il vaut mieux perdre la face que perdre la tête.)

- N’aimes-tu pas mieux marcher avec moi que d’y aller en voiture? (ou : N’aimes-tu pas mieux marcher avec moi qu’y aller en voiture?)

- Je préfère manger moins mais mieux plutôt que de manger moins bien mais plus. (ou : Je préfère manger moins mais mieux plutôt que manger moins bien mais plus.)

thank you this is very very helpful! Just a queston though, you've mentioned that "que de" can follow if there was a proceeding infinitive- is there any limitations to this rule or can I use it in most of the cases?

you can use in most of the cases.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service