French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi all,

can i use 'Pouves-vous comprendre moi' for 'Can you understand me' instead of

'Pouves-vous me comprendre' ?

Thanks

Views: 1958

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The short answer is no. Basically, whenever there is one of the "preceding" pronouns available and it can fit into the sentence, you always use that.

Exceptions:

- a small number of verbs, notable "existential" verbs ("Il y a moi", "C'est moi", and not "Il m'y a", "Ce m'est").

- when the pronouns are coordinated with a noun, e.g. "Il a vu Paul et moi". (In formal usage, some speakers would avoid this construction by paraphrasing the sentence.)

- a few cases where the pronoun ends up with "nowhere to go" because it's "blocked" by another pronoun. So e.g. to say "He presented you to me", you might expect to be able to say "*Il me t'a présenté", but speakers never combine "me" and "te" in this way.

But... these are really minor exceptions that there's no need to panic over.

"Use the preceding pronoun when you can" is a good rule of thumb.

And by the way, at the second person plural ''vous'', the verbs end with ''ez''. So the correct way to write is ''Pouvez-vous me comprendre''.

Hi Guy,

the very best setence is: m'avez vous compris?

I m native French , I  m looking  for a person for exchange languages French/English, if you interrested ? thank s you see to message!

Mourad 

Hi all,

thanks for the sharing.

Hi Mourad, nice to meet you. I'm glad to have someone to exchange language with.

I think in this forum, it is required to add the other party as a friend before we can share messages. I have just send u an invite. See u soon.... :)

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service