French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

I am told that que is used incorrectly in the following sentence and that the sentence needs to be restructured.

I don't see what the problem is in this sentence where I use que meaning "that" in English.

Je vous écris cette lettre au nom de toute la classe pour exprimer notre souci que nous ne sommes pas bien préparés à réussir à l'examen en quelques semaines. 

Views: 173

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wish I could help you- but I believe I'm not qualified  enough to- however, it's possible that by "restructure", the person in question could perhaps be referring to using a less transliterated structure- my general rule of thumb is that whenever something sounds too literal to it's english meaning- there's a problem...

perhaps you could use different verbs such as "s'inquiéter de" something like "les progrés qui nous inquiéte de..." I'm unsure.... we have to wait for someone fluent

Hi Peter -- I don't think there's a problem with "souci" per se (though you could indeed use "inquiétude"). I think it just turns out that speakers wouldn't tend to use it with "que" in this way. Instead, you can use "de" with the infinitive:

...notre souci de ne pas être bien préparés à passer l'examen dans quelques semaines.

Interesting. Yes I was told that the sentence sounds too transliterated from English, which is one of my main challenges when writing French. 

I'll try your suggestion to use de ne pas être and see what feed back I'll get on that.

Thanks

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service