French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi,

I'm struggling with a proper/natural expression for the english verb "resulted in"/ "results in"/ or causes- both in the negative, neutral and positive sense.

I have found these:

-entraîner

-conduite à

-mener à

and sometimes "pousser"

and

-causer

but when ever I try to use any one of them- I am unsure as to which one i should be using: for example, in a negative sense, would I use "causer"?
I'm trying to find the most natural expression to simply say that X had resulted as a result of Y or X had caused Y to happen...

I am also aware that you could use: "faire" if I wanted to say something like les attentats ont fait 30 blessés...

Thanks for your help in advance

Views: 823

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here are some propositions : "... a conduit à ...", "... a eu pour conséquence de...", "...a entraîné...", "...a abouti à..."

You can say "les attentats ont fait 30 blessés...".

thanks Erwan! this helps heaps

Just to add something to the other ideas: in French it's also common to turn things round and use an expression such as Par suite de ("as a result/consequence of...").

So for example:

Par suite de l'accident, plusieurs personnes ne peuvent plus travailler.

"The accident has resulted in several people no longer being able to work."

It's a kind of correct, but I think it's better to use:

"A la suite de l'accident, plusieurs personnes ne peuvent plus travailler".

It's perhaps me, but I never saw "Par suite de"

Cheers !

Hi Jérôme -- my impression is that "à la suite de..." implies more a simple "succession of events", whereas "par suite de..." emphasises causality.

But you could be right that "par suite de" is less common of the two variants overall (I did a couple of very rough Google searches, e.g. "par suite de la..." gets approx 3 million results, whereas "à la suite de la..." gets approx 25 million results.

Maybe "par suite de" is slightly more legal language too?

I think that we often say/hear "Suite à l'accident, ..." too.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service