French Language

Discuss and learn French: French vocabulary, French grammar, French culture etc.

French Vocab Games app for iPhone/iPad French-English dictionary French grammar French vocab/phrases

For the latest updates, follow @FrenchUpdates on Twitter!

Hi

I'm sorry to post such a boring question, but I'm stuck.

I would love to learn french and apart from learning a small amount during school, I am a complete beginner.

The trouble is, I don't know where to start.

I don't know whether I should I start by learning verbs, nouns, adjectives.. or start on grammar, sentence structure etc,.

I've tried starting from various angles, but I seem to get muddled up.  I know that no way is the right way, but if anyone could suggest a start point, I would be extremely grateful!!!

Many thanks

Rachel

Views: 168

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When I tried to learn a bit of German I found a school exercise book and made a start on it.

After a while I lost interest because I had no practical need but as a form of learning I would say it is good and would be even better if carried out in any kind of a group setting.

As for reading material I would be looking out for anything written for children.

I am not sure about the internet....

I used FRENCH IN THREE MONTHS by Hugo because the vocabulary  listings had pronunciation phonetically (i.e.: parlez (par-lay) moi (mwa), etc.).  It was very, very basic.

The lessons got more intense as you moved through the book.  I did not move to lesson two until I completely learned lesson one, etc.  (Also, answers to translations, etc are at the back--No cheating, though).  I used a wire-bound notebook and did all the exercises.  I live in Manhattan, NY and would often memorize the vocabulary listings on the subway rides to and from work.

I also bought a good French/English dictionary.

After I completed the book, I joined an adult education class to see what I knew.  Then lessons at the Alliance Francaise here in New York.  If you can't do that, see what your local college has to offer.

And watch French films.  Listen to the language even if you don't know what is said as yet.  I still do that a lot.

RSS

Follow BitterCoffey on Twitter

© 2024   Created by Neil Coffey.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service